Saturday, August 30, 2014

Privileged Witness

I was praying in the garden when a butterfly came playfully into view. Fluttering back and forth, alighting here and there, then taking off again.
I have been awakened to the value of native plants and have worked steadily over the past few years to increase the bio-diversity of plants, especially natives, and to delight in the varieties of insects and birds that have come to enjoy the space.
Both the city of St. Louis and my own community have been supporting these efforts, and the picture at the right is a photo of a monarch on one of the milkweeds that I planted to this year. The other, less-showy insect is the milkweed beetle, I have had lots of them too, as well as milkweed aphids earlier in the summer.
I got my camera and took up a position near the milkweed plant and waited for the Monarch to settle on a plant within camera shot. She went from one milkweed to the next, but only the Asclepias curissavica is in bloom, so she settled there to have a meal.
Many monarchs have come over the summer to get some nectar. I have seen them around from time to time. This morning I felt particularly blessed to witness this visitor. Her presence witnesses to the fact that the ecosystem is coming back to life.
How many other miracles are blossoming in my life, in my community, in my neighborhood? It is a privilege to stop and notice the blessings as they unfold in this place. I am also in dialogue with sisters who are interested in joining this community. Together we create the ecosystem that will foster our life and the nourishment of Gospel living among us and around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment